When you thought you were relieved of it…
- [News of the Wiki: year 2010] – Wikizine totally failed at informing you about Wikimedia news last year. This was regrettable but unavoidable due the lack of active staff. Fortunately, “The Signpost” looks better than ever and provides an excellent overview about the main topics of the past year in the Wikimedia world.
- [Virginia Data Center] – the WMF has rented space in a data center in Virginia, USA. Installation of the hardware has been scheduled for February 2011. This location will soon become the main WMF data center.
- [Article feedback] – a function to give readers the option of rating the quality of an article has been activated on a few pages of the English Wikipedia. The test showed that anonymous users give a much higher score than registered users. It started in September 2010 and is ongoing.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion — an article with the feedback function enabled
- [WMF Engineering Update] – an extensive overview of technical news, events and more.
Request for help
- [Keep your news clippings] – Do you see an article about Wikipedia in a newspaper or other printed media? Keep it. Contact your local chapter (if it exists) to ask if they can keep it safe for your local community. When there is no chapter, just keep it yourself — especially if you are from a small language Wikipedia. Every article that appears in print is something to collect.
- [Founder] – A video message from Jimmy Wales, founder of Wikipedia, to the world
- [StrataConf 2011] – February 1-3, 2011, Santa Clara, California — Many Wikimedians will be attending the O’Reilly conference, and there will be a an informal meetup with foundation staff member Erik Zachte on Wikimedia Data.
- [FOSDEM] – February 5-6, Brussels, Belgium — Tomasz Finc, Arthur Richards, and Roan Kattouw will be at FOSDEM 2011 this year. They will be speaking about data collection at Wikimedia.
- [Celebrations] – A collection of photos from many Wikipedia 10 community events are available on the “Ten Wikipedia”. All of these photos, especially the “international birthday cakes”, are very nice and worth a look. Online you could see that there was something special at the English Wikipedia which used the special Wiki10 logo, and at the Dutch Wikipedia which used the old Wikipedia logo for one day.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2011-01-17/News_and_notes — report about Wiki10 by the Signpost
- [10 years] – There has been a huge amount of media coverage. A very long – and totaly incomplete – list of links to articles can be found at the “Ten Wikipedia”. There has been also radio and television interviews, not only with WMF key figures but also with regular users.
- [A few links] – A very small selection of recent articles about the 10th anniversary of Wikipedia. For more, see above.
- [Translating EN WP] – A common misconception is that the many language editions of Wikipedia are actually translations of the English Wikipedia. In the case of Thai, however, this is correct. “Asia Online” created a complete translation of EN Wikipedia to the Thai language. This was done through advanced machine translation and a staff of 10 proofreaders.
Did you know …
… there are two Spanish language “Wikipedias”?
The ES Wikipedia forked to an independent project in the early days of Wikipedia: “Enciclopedia Libre Universal en Español”. At first the new project was very successful, but ES Wikipedia overtook the fork in 2004. A couple of days ago the Spanish language Wikipedia passed the 700,000 article mark and remains the 7th largest Wikipedia. The fork is still bravely working on their own version and has a respectable 46,000 articles. It would be 53th largest Wikipedia if it were part of our club.
http://networkcultures.org/wpmu/cpov/lang/de/2011/01/15/spanish_fork/ – read me; long interview with Edgar Enyedy, early ES Wikipedia about the fork and Wikipedia
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.”
Sources-Attributions: WMF Engineering Overview January 2011, Website: http://www.wikizine.org
Wikizine.org makes no guarantee of accuracy, validity and especially but not limited to, correct grammar and spelling. Satisfaction is not guaranteed.
Wikizine.org is published by [[meta:user:Walter]]. Some content can be highly inspired or directly copied from other sources. Those sources are listed above at “Sources-Attributions”.
Content is available under the GNU Free Documentation License http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html and the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License 3.0