- [Logo Wiktionary] – End of 2006 a winner of a new logo selection process was declared for Wiktionary. Some Wiktionary accepted and used the new logo, others did not. (like the English Wiktionary). In any case once more a new logo selection process is in motion on Meta for Wiktionary.
- http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiktionary/logo — “we have a winner (2006)”
- http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiktionary/logo/refresh — new logo Wiktionary 2009
- [Board elections] – the Wikimedia Foundation Board is holding its community elections again, this time for 3 board seats (the next regular election will be in two years). Candidates are being accepted until July 20. Help is needed with translating many pages for the election. (including the CentralNotice displayed all over Wikimedia’s sites)!
- [Annual Plan] – the Foundation has published its 2009-2010 Annual Plan and a set of Questions & Answers to go along with it.
- [wm2009: Registration] – registration for Wikimania 2009 in Buenos Aires is now open! If you register before July 30, it’s US$15 cheaper. (= US$45)
- [Orange] – In April the Wikimedia Foundation announced a partnership with the telecommunications company “Orange”. The Spanish Wikipedia is now being showcased on the Spanish Orange site.
- [New chapters] – the Board recently approved three new Wikimedia chapters: Wikimedia Danmark (Denmark), Wikimedia Portugal, and Wikimedia Ukraine. This brings the total number of chapters to 24.
- [fossevents] – a new site (run by the same people who run IRC network Wikimedia uses, Freenode) just opened up that showcases FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) Events around the world, big and small. Be sure to add your upcoming Wikimedia events and look for others that interest you!
- [New Wikipedia] – The founding of “Wikipedia”, the large Western language Wikipedias, may seem to lay in the distant past, new Wikipedia’s are still founded. The Mari Wikipedia is the newest family member
- [GLAM] – in the lead up to GLAM-WIKI (August 6-7), Wikimedia Australia is holding an editors’ challenge (like a friendly competition) with the overall theme of “Australian GLAM” (GLAM stands for “Galleries, Libraries, Archives & Museums”). The idea is to pick your own editing theme and submit it, along with the edits you make related to it. Prizes will be awarded for the most extensive, creative, impressive, novel, broad, deep, etc. edits.
- http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Australia/GLAM_challenge — GLAM challenge
- http://glam.wikimedia.org.au/ — GLAM wiki
- [WMDE: ED/Vision] – we previously noted that Wikimedia Deutschland was looking for a new Executive Director; they’ve finally found one after a year! The new director is Pavel Richter (w:de:User:Schreibvieh) and he was the unanimous choice of both the search committee and the board. Sebastian, chair of WMDE’s board and the current director, also published a blog post describing the newly defined vision for Wikimedia’s first and largest chapter.
- http://blog.wikimedia.de/2009/07/02/neuer-geschaftsfuhrer/ — blog announcing ED (German)
- http://blog.wikimedia.de/2009/07/06/eine-vision-fur-wikimedia-deutschland/ — blog discussing vision (German)
- [ENWP: 3 million?] – What will the 3 millionth article on the English Wikipedia be? A few community members are making guesses on what article that will be, be sure to add your guess too!
- [India: Meetup] – everyone seems to be linking to a report on the third Bangalore, India meetup. The meetup seems like it was pretty successful and the agenda included a large number of topics, these are discussed in the meetup report.
- [Wikinews] – the English Wikinews is doing good. It has an active community, does exclusive interviews, is indexed by Google News and now the have almost 15000 news story’s written. But not all Wikinews editions are so. On Meta is there now a proposal to close down the dutch language Wikinews due to a structural lack of activity.
- [WP: Accurate enough] – everyone always has something to say about us, at least this time it’s a favorable article from the Kansas City Examiner.
- [Wiki Goes to War] – the U.S. Army is creating MediaWiki-based sites for seven of their 550 manuals. There will be a 90 day experiment, where troops can edit manuals, and leave comments.
- [Egocentric introverts] – a study by Israeli psychology researchers say that their study shows Wikipedians are egocentric, disagreeable, socially awkward and closed to new ideas. Australian Wikipedia have “hit out” at this report.
- [Sued Over Wikipedia] – a county commissioner and political consultant have filed a defamation lawsuit in Ingham County Circuit Court against three men for allegedly editing false and defamatory information into a biographical entry on Wikipedia.
- [MJ] – another analysis of the Michael Jackson+Wikipedia problems was made by Erik Zachte, Wikimedia’s statistics analyst, with graphs and comparisons between different Wikipedia language versions.
- [Commons Uploads] – Ilmari Karonen has been collecting image statistics for a while now (how many bytes we have per file type) and now he has graphs illustrating the changes too.
- [Going for he 8th place] – the Spanish and Portugees Wikipedia are very, very close in the number of articles and are so competing for the honour of being the 8th largest Wikipedia..
- [Image Search] – this should make searching for images to upload to Commons a lot easier: Google adds Creative Commons Selection to Advanced Options.
- [Serious reading] – a doctoral thesis, by Jos ́ Felipe Ortega Soto, that analize quantitatively the evolution of the top ten Wikipedias. An their problems (in English, 228 pages).
- http://libresoft.es/Members/jfelipe/thesis-wkp-quantanalysis — pdf download
Did you know …
There is a world market for maybe five computers – Thomas Watson, IBM, 1943
Editor(s): Casey, Walter , Corrector(s): Alex , Thanks to: Veronique, Sebastian, Kul, DarkoNeko, Ziko, Mathias, David, Gnangarra, the Wikipedia Signpost (Erik Zachte), Steve Bennett, Brion, Peter, Cary, Crazy Lover , Contact: reply or http://report.wikizine.org
Website: http://www.wikizine.org , Wikizine.org makes no guarantee of accuracy, validity and especially but not limited to,
correct grammar and spelling. Satisfaction is not guaranteed. Wikizine.org is published by [[meta:user:Walter]]. Wikizine is a irregular publication as long as there is noteworthy news (and time) Content is available under the GNU Free Documentation License
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html and also the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Generic License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/