Single User Login
- SUL. Single User Login. Bug 57. Unified login. One login for all wikis. The mythical uberlogin has migrated to The Real World.The migration function is enabled currently for sysops only. The options to migrate can be found on the first page of the account preferences page on the projects were you’re a sysop. From there you can follow the instructions to claim all you accounts on all wikis that have the same username. After the migration you can log on all these wikis with the same password.
For the migration to work you need to have the same email address or password on all your user accounts. You can claim the rest of the accounts with your name by providing their password.
The current sysop-only migration is to collect information for the general user migration later. Sysops who have problems are strongly encouraged to report them so that they can be fixed before SUL is rolled out generally.
By migrating now (if you can) you have the advantage that you can use that username to log in to all WMF wikis as long as there is not a local user account with your name that is not yours.
Please note that not everhings works yet when you migrate. For example renaming an account can not be done (for now at least). Inform you before you do it.
- [Upload auto-confirmed] – upload of files on all Wikimedia sites except Commons is now restricted to auto-confirmed users. That are user accounts older then 4 days.
- [Stable Versions] – testwikis are setup for tests of the stable versions function. This function makes it possible to rate the quality of an article. Feedback is requested from users who volunteer to test the function.
- [Scholarship] – translations are requested of the Wikimania 2008 scholarships information page.
- [+ $3,000,000] – The board of the “Alfred P. Sloan Foundation” has granted the Wikimedia Foundation 1 million dollars (US) per year for the next three years. This is the largest donation made to the Foundation in its history. Note: 1 million USD = 642302 EUR / 501669 GBP
- [New hire] – the WMF has hired a new accountant, Mary Lou Secoquian, who will work in San Francisco.
- [NotTheWikipediaWeekly] – On the English language Wikipedia a new audio podcast project about Wikipedia has started. They announce a time to meet in a skypecast, talk about Wikipedia topics and publish the recordings.
- [IT Wikipedia] – The Italian Wikipedia has won the a category award of “PremioWWW-Il sole 24 ore” a competition organized by the most important business newspaper in Italy (Il Sole 24 ore). The winners were selected by jury from the shortlist composed by the 5 sites that obtained the highest score through a popular vote. This is the second time that it.wiki wins “PremioWWW-Il sole 24 ore”. Last time was two years ago.
- [Animated stats] – Our grandmaster of statistics Erik Zachte has made a new form of Wikipedia-stats. Animated statistics; bubbles representing the projects floating true time and number of articles. It is available in an interactive format that works currently with FireFox 3.0 release candidate. A flash version that works with any browser (8MB) is also available.
- [Schoolbook] – A publisher of schoolbooks in Japan is using a Wikipedia map as illustration. It is the world map of death penalty sentences.
… Microsoft also uses MediaWiki ?Microsoft researcher Steve Ickman said while Microsoft SharePoint is great, MediaWiki has valuable features not found in SharePoint – particularly the ability to archive.
“Do not leave your children unattended. All unattended children will be eaten.” — Friendly advice from vulture in movie “Ice age 2”
Number of subscribers: 712 , Unique Visitors website last week: 132 , Editor(s): Walter , Corrector(s): 2 who do not wish to take credit for it , Thanks to: Nick , Contact: reply or http://report.wikizine.org , Website: http://www.wikizine.org , Wikizine.org makes no guarantee of accuracy, validity and especially but not limited to, correct grammar and spelling. Satisfaction is not guaranteed.
Wikizine.org is published by [[meta:user:Walter]], and is not a publication of the Wikimedia Foundation. Wikizine is a irregular publication as long as there is noteworthy news (and time) Content is available under the GNU Free Documentation License. http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html