- [Foundation Licensing] – The WMF approved a licensing policy for its projects. The policy has an impact on all projects about how they are allowed to use media (like photos, logos). The policy heavily restricts the use of media under a “Fair use” or similar status and allows it only under very specific circumstance if no other possibility exists. All new files uploaded from March 23, 2007 must comply with the new policy or be deleted. Please read the policy. Reading this text is no substitute.
- [NL.wikibooks] – The Wikibooks NL community has decided to change the default license of textbooks for the future. That will mean that from a certainpoint in the near future all new submitted changes and new texts will be default double licenced under GNU FDL *and* CC-BY-SA-2.5 or later.
- [Upgrade] – A large hardware purchase for $280,000 is approved. This will include 36 Apache servers and 20 Squids. After this upgrade the server park will be able to handle the traffic until it doubles from the current one.
- [Quiz] – On Wikiversity (that is a WMF project) is the MediaWiki quiz extension enabled. With this extension you can make wiki-based quizzes.
Request for help
- [EN Wikinews] – There is interest by some users of EN Wikinews to try to make a video news bulletin. The problem is that there is need for people who know how to do that. People who are interested to help can say so in the “Water cooler”.
- http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Water_cooler/proposals#wikinews_Video — Like to help?
- http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Broadcast — early attempts
- [Wikimentary] – In Wikizine 64 there was an item about a project to make a documentary about Wikipedia. But there is also another unrelated project for making a documentary. This is a project of Rory O’Connor, a documentary maker and journalist. This documentary is supposed to be focused on wiki technology including Wikipedia. Video recordings have been made at the previous Wikimanias. This project is now seeking financial support to complete a film. To contact the people working on this; <roc AT globalvision DOT org>
- http://www.archive.org/details/WIKIMANIA-ROUGH_CUT.mov — A possible segment of the documentary
- [Resignation] – Brad Patrick, General Counsel (lawyer) and ex-interim Executive Director of the Wikimedia Foundation, has announced that he will leave the WMF on March 31, 2007. Brad was hired by the WMF in June 2006. In his statement Brad makes clear that he announced his decision to leave Wikimedia weeks ago and is totally unrelated with the resignation of Danny.
- http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.foundation/15210 — statement by Brad about this resignation
- [Danny] – Danny also has posted a statement about his resignation. He writes that he will run for the board of WMF in next election.
- [Job] – The Wikimedia Foundation is seeking a legal coordinator to handle the day-to-day legal needs of the Foundation and to coordinate outside help.
- [Hire upgrade] – Anthere announced that Rob Halsell who has been working part-time as data center technician since December is hired full-time now to work for the WMF. Rob will work as IT’er in the Tampa data center of and as office IT technician in the Wikimedia Foundation world headquarters in Saint Petersburg.
- [Advisory Board] – Two new members are added to the WMF Advisory Board: Teemu Leinonen and Debbie Garside. This brings the board up to 20 members.
- [Wikimeet Serbia] – Everyone who has time and means is welcome to come to Belgrade, Serbia during the weekend of April 21 and 22 for a Wikimeet.
- http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Dungodung — contact person for this
- [JA Wiki] – Japanese Wikipedians have held a public interview with Jimbo Wales who is staying in Japan for a month until 2th April. Twenty questions to ask to Jimbo were written by the Japanese Wikipedia community. The questions where send to Jimbo in advance and Jimbo answered questions at the event. There were about 60 people attending. Jimbo also answered non-prepared questions from the audience.
- [Wikiquote-l] – There was not yet a general mailing list for the Wikiquote project. Now there is one; Wikiquote-l
- [EO.wp] – The Esperanto Wikipedia has reached 70,000 articles with Biblioteko de Aleksandrio (Library of Alexandra). The Esperanto Wikipedia is one of the older Wikipedia’s and now the 11th largest Wikipedia out of +/- 240.
- [Wikibooks] – The Russian Wikibooks and the Chinese Wikibooks has reached 500 book modules.
- [Open] – Citizendium, then encyclopedia project of Larry Sanger, co-founder of wikipedia depending on who you ask, has opened his Wiki to the general public for reading. Applying for an account is also possible but it will take more effort then on our projects.
- [WikiSym] – International Symposium on Wikis; Call for submitting of a paper, panel, workshop, etc
Was ist das?
Stroopwafels: plural form of stroopwafel
Shills and Astroturfing: A type of sockpuppet created by the manufacturer of a product or the author of a book for the sole purpose of recommending the product/book by posing as an enthusiastic consumer or reader. A single such sock puppet is a shill; creating large numbers of them to fake a “grass-roots” upswelling of support is known as astroturfing. (Source: [[ w:en:Sockpuppet (Internet)]])
Linus Torvalds quotes
“I’m doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won’t be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.” (1991)
“If you still don’t like it, that’s ok: that’s why I’m boss. I simply know better than you do.” (1996)
“Talk is cheap. Show me the code.” (2000)
“They are smoking crack.” (2003) Source: eWeek interview. Notes: said about SCO
“Really, I’m not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect.” (2003)
“Anybody who tells me I can’t use a program because it’s not open source, go suck on rms. I’m not interested. 99% of that I run tends to be open source, but that’s _my_ choice, dammit.” (October 26, 2004) rms = Richard Stallman
Number of subscribers: 625 , Unique Visitors website last week: 341 , Editor(s): Walter , Corrector(s): Zhaladshar , Thanks to: Yukichi, bawolff, Chuck Smith , Contact: reply or http://report.wikizine.org , Website: http://wikizine.org , Wikizine.org makes no guarantee of accuracy, validity and especially but not limited to, correct grammar and spelling. Wikizine.org is published by [[meta:user:Walter]], and is not a publication of the Wikimedia Foundation. Wikizine is a weekly publication as long as there is noteworthy news (and time)
Content is available under the GNU Free Documentation License. http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html