- [Fair Use and more] – Board member Kat Walsh has posted the position of the Wikimedia Foundation regarding media licensing policies. A formal resolution will follow later. This post is very important and cannot be properly summarized in one or two sentences. A large amount of feedback has been given and is still coming in for this topic.
- http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.foundation/14344 — Kat’s initial message and direct feedback
- http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.foundation/14399/ — more
- http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.foundation/14551 — even more
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Administrators%27_noticeboard/Kat_Walsh%27s_statement — A talk page can also be used
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2007-02-12/Media_licensing — Good Signpost article about it
- [Wiki up] – Anthere gave a presentation at a conference in Switzerland. One of things she said was that the Wikimedia Foundation currently has the cash to pay the bills for about three months. This quote is showing up on the internet globally as “Wikipedia might disappear in 3 months” and “The end is near for Wikipedia”. In a post to Foundation-l Ant wishes to reassure that this is not the case. It’d probably be best to read Anthere’s post yourself.
- http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.foundation/14559 — Response from the WMF chair on the rumors
- http://slashdot.org/articles/07/02/10/1515233.shtml — and the talk on /. about it
- [Wikimania 2007] – The people working on Wikimania 2007 have published a new Team Bulletin. If you want to know how planning for Wikimanina is progressing, you should take a look at the bulletin. And if that reason alone is not enough incentive, you can find out how to go to Wikimania 2007 for free by taking a look at the bulletin.
- [US gov’s] – United States agencies seem to be interested in articles about them or related topics. They have been caught editing their own articles.
- [Welcome!] – How new users are welcomed on a wiki can differ from project to project. In the early days of a project new users often got a personal welcome. Later that changed, and personal welcomes were replaced with templates. Some of this is even done with automated “welcome bots”. On Meta, a list has been compiled that provides an overview of how different projects and languages welcome new users.
- http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cross-project_comparisons/MediaWiki:Welcomecreation_and_Template:Welcome_comparisons .
- http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.foundation/14272/ — The page was started after analysis of welcoming efforts was posted to the foundation-l mailing list by Commons user pfctdayelise.
Suggestion for help
- [de.wikizine] – Several people have started with a translation of Wikizine in there language but stopped after a couple of weeks. The latest attempt is a German language translation. The user who is trying to get that started will be offline for a couple of weeks. If there is a German speaker who wants to give it a try you are free to do so.
- [DE interview] – A very nice interview of [[w:de:Benutzer:Mathias Schindler]] with English and Chinese translations
- [%] – Have you ever wondered what uses the most bandwidth on Wikipedia? Well, 44.50% of bandwidth is uploads (images, video), 18.51% articles, 10.67% non-article pages, 8.66% skins-css, 5.73% skins-js, 7.59% skins-image, and 4.36% other.
- [es.wp] – The Spanish-language edition of Wikipedia has passed the 200,000 article mark. This is quite an impressive achievement. The Spanish Wikipedia is also one of the oldest Wikipedias. Back in February 2002, they encountered some difficulty when many of the editors left the Wikipedia family and created a fork, La Enciclopedia Libre. After the fork, the Spanish Wikipedia slowed down quite a bit, having very few editors and very little activity. The community was almost completely gone, and the fork became the largest free Spanish encyclopedia. But, over time, the ES Wikipedia again came to life and overtook the fork. Now the ES Wikipedia has 200,000 articles and the fork, Enciclopedia Libre, a mere +/- 35,000 articles. Luckily in this case forking only slowed down the Spanish Wikipedia.
- [hu.wp] – The Hungarian Wikipedia is now one of the biggest wikis, having reached the 50,000 article mark. Like many wikis do, they are in the process of choosing a special logo to commemorate the event. At first, however, there was some confusion about what the 50,000th article was. Eventually it was determined that [[ w:hu:Kettős kockázat (Csillagkapu)]] was the 50,000th article, a page about a Stargate episode. The hu.wp has received some limited but positive press attention due to this accomplishment.
- [Google] – has added a new feature. If you include “info” or “information” in the search box, the first result should be the English language Wikipedia article, if it exists. This works only on the English Google. Do not put to much trust in it. It works but not always. Some articles can not be found this way like when you look for ” info United States“
- [WikiXRay] – A project to develop a robust and expandable software tool for quantitative analysis of Wikipedia is under development. This tool would make it easier to create graphics and statistical results of vital statistics from any language wikipedia automatically. It is being developed by José Felipe Ortega, of the Libresoft Group (Universidad Rey Juan Carlos, Madrid, Spain). A Python software tool has already been released. Anyone interested in contributing in any form (developers, graphic interfaces builders, beta-testers, bug-hunters, people with additional proposals…) is welcome to contact [[ meta:User:GlimmerPhoenix]] <glimmer_phoenix AT yahoo DOT es>
Did you know …
Go to your monobook.js file. If you can not find it, paste [[Special:Mypage/monobook.js]] on your userpage and use the link. Paste the code below onto the page;
Refresh, see left upper menu. The section is in Dutch or English, works on all wikis. Credit for this extension goes to [[w:nl:gebruiker:JePe ]]
“Wiki is helping this poor medical student through Medical School” — Robert Paull
“Because any group run by a guy named “Jimbo” deserves my cash.” — Anonymous
“Keep wikipedia ad-free and international!” — Anonymous
“wikipedia must not disappear!” — Anonymous
“I am overwhelmed by the diversity and incredible depth of the knowledge here. I am grateful on behalf of mankind for a wonderful creation.” — Oren Menache
“Free knowledge is not free without our donation” — Ying Hung Gan
Number of subscribers: 608 , Unique Visitors website last week: 319 , Editor(s): Walter , Corrector(s): Gary Kirk, Lantoka